When I posted about the primary in Columbus, in which a veritable Who’s Who of local Democrats are going after a district designed as a liberal quarantine by the GOP, the immediate reaction of many was “Why aren’t you posting about Marcy Kaptur vs. Dennis Kucinich?”
Well… there are plenty of places to read about the “animated,” “increasingly tense,” “increasingly bitter” “war” between two candidates who have typically been allies. People have been vocal about whom they support. In short, I thought posting about the 3rd added more to the overall conversation. But, this should be more fun, right?
Some background: Like the 3rd district, the 9th was created to get Democrats out of districts where they might threaten GOP incumbents. It’s literally worse than gerrymandered – compare the 9th to the district that spawned the term 200 years ago:
I think it looks like the Lake Erie Monster.
Regardless, until redistricting reform becomes reality, we are faced with an intra-district bout between two of the most prominent Democrats in the state: Kaptur and Kucinich. Kaptur’s highest profile achievement is the successful drive to erect a National WWII Memorial. Kucinich’s highest profile achievements have been two spectacularly unsuccessful presidential campaigns.
To put it more fairly, Kucinich has often been a vocal champion of progressive ideals, Kaptur has been a more pragmatic legislator. Congress certainly has room for both, even if the 9th district doesn’t.
I know both candidates have strong and committed support. I’m expecting to hear from supporters from both.
It should be noted that there is a third choice in the campaign, Graham Veysey, who must be thrilled with the negatives being hurled at each other by the top tier candidates, but is certainly fighting an uphill battle. So, let’s hear it:
Who are you supporting in the OH-9 primary?
- I do not live in the district but I want Kaptur to win (42%, 59 Votes)
- I do not live in the district but I want Kucinich to win (21%, 30 Votes)
- I live in the district and I'm voting for Kaptur (14%, 20 Votes)
- I live in the district and I'm voting for Kucinich (9%, 13 Votes)
- I do not live in the district and I'm okay with whoever wins (9%, 13 Votes)
- I live in the district and am still undecided (4%, 5 Votes)
- I do not live in the district but I want Veysey to win (1%, 2 Votes)
- I live in the district and I'm voting for Veysey (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 142
No related stories.