The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Warren County Prosecutor David Fornshell has closed his investigation “after Elam agreed to pay costs for his initial letter to the public and sent out a new one saying some of his statements were ‘not appropriate.’”
We are glad to see this come to a just end. But the damage has been done. School officials throughout the state will think twice before criticizing Kasich’s school funding plan – as even the most benign criticism could be interpreted as “political” and lead to a criminal investigation. It’s called “chilling” of speech, and the fact that this has been resolved doesn’t mean that Fornshell’s actions are acceptable or defensible.
- Right-Leaning Media Joins Criticism of GOP Prosecutor’s Politically-Motivated Investigation
- GOP Prosecutor Plays Politics, Disregards Duties
- Tea Party Activist First to Contact GOP Prosecutor
- GOP Prosecutor’s “Clerical Error” Needs Attorney General Review
- Prosecutor’s Pursuit of Franklin School Official Takes Some Brass