Among the more aggressive political myths projected by the state’s editorial writers and garden variety pundits is that Secretary of State Jon Husted, a Republican, has earned a big gold merit badge for his concern about Ohio’s scandalous congressional district lines. After all, he talks about it all the time.
But wait! Husted is a Republican. The gerrymandering was carried out by Republicans who are quite comfortable with their congressional victories at the polls. Both houses of the General Assembly are controlled by Republicans. Gov. Kasich and his crowd are all Republicans. Question: Why would any of these operatives want to change anything to make their Valhalla competitive? They wouldn’t.
But Husted continues to talk about it in an election year, knowing full well that his convenient good-guy idea has no chance. Nice try, Jon. At least the unquestioning mainstream journals like it.
- Author Tells Redistricting Committee: Competitive Districts Are Bad Because They Make Voters Sad
- Salon Pulls Back The Curtain On Husted’s Voter Repression
- Ohio’s Pot-Holed Track To So-Called Election Reform
- Guest Post: SB 193: John Kasich’s Re-Election Protection Bill
- In An Election Year, Husted Relying On False Slogans