Let me start by saying this: if someone sends you a direct message on Twitter out of the blue – especially someone with whom you rarely communicate – DO NOT click on the link. And if you DO click on the link, and it opens a web page asking you to log on to Twitter again, DO NOT ENTER YOUR PASSWORD.
If everyone would follow these rules, then we could end this stupid Twitter direct message “hacking” thing once and for all.
Unfortunately, it continues to happen. And today it happened to Karen Kasich.
We received this message from Ohio’s First Lady this evening:
Mrs. Kasich’s account has since been shut down and the Tweet has been deleted.
House Speaker Batchelder’s account was similarly hacked last year. We assume this was due to some inexperienced staffer clicking on the link – not Batch actually learning how to use his “little TV“.
It also happened to Kasich’s long time pal and overpaid lobbyist Don Thibaut just last month.
Unlike Batch, Thibaut’s account is guaranteed to be authentically authored by Mr. Thibaut himself. It’s 2 parts religion, 1 part violent American history references and 1 part liberal hating along with some Kasich reTweets and the occasional unintended direct message like this one:
Again… if you get a direct message on Twitter – ESPECIALLY if it’s from some Kasich-friendly Republican – DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK.
- Group Using Phony Twitter Accounts to Promote Anti-Sherrod Brown Video
- Caller leaves racist anti-Obama message for Ohio labor group
- John Kasich [the candidate] wants school funding questions ASAP [not yours] on Facebook & Twitter [#OHEdu]
- BREAKING: Ohio Dems Call on “Kasich’s Hand-Picked State School Board President” Debe Terhar to Resign
- Ohio women collateral damage in GOP political payback